First settled in 1635 as "Pullen" or ("Pulling") "Poynt" (it is presumed by some because fishermen "pulled in" their dories here) the community began as a fishing and farming village. Among its first settlers was Deane Winthrop, son of the first Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The preserved Deane Winthrop House (1637) is among the oldest first period houses in America.
Residents of the village, together with residents of neighboring Rumney Marsh (now Revere) and Chelsea, played a significant role in the 1775 Battle of Chelsea Creek the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War; some later fought and died at Lexington and Concord.
A well preserved 18th century burial ground is among the Town's historic sites. By the mid 1800's the settlement had become the Town of Winthrop, in honor of its most famous son. By 1873, the Town had grown significantly and boasted of having: 18 farms, 124 dwellings, at least one major hotel, 532 inhabitants and four public schools!
In the 20th century, the Town continued to play a role in the nation’s history with the construction of two major fortifications, Fort Heath and Fort Banks, to afford protection to the entrance to Boston Harbor during the World Wars. The Winthrop Library and Museum houses exhibits highlighting the Town’s nearly 400-year history.
Copyright © 2009, Winthrop Chamber of Commerce
Winthrop, MA 02152. All Rights Reserved.